Saturday, September 24, 2011

Creole Bread Pudding

Look what my momma made for me! Well she didn't exactly make it for me but she brought me and my husband two pieces. I Love My Mom! She brought them over to my house and asked me if we would like some and I said sure knowing my husband probably wouldn't eat his, that just means I get two pieces hehehehe and it was that good. She said its a little bit of work making the sauce so I don't know if I will try it but I sure like eating it and it takes a real pretty picture too.

Creole Bread Pudding
3 cups of packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
5 eggs lightly beaten
4 cups of milk
1 cup of whipping cream
5 teaspoons of vanilla
14 slices of bread 1" thick
(optional)1 cup of raisins
(optional)1 1/2 cup of pecan pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and lightly butter a 13 x 9 pan. In a large bowl blend the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk in the eggs, milk, cream and vanilla. Tear the bread into big bite sized pieces and place in the pan. Pour the mixture over the bread and allow the bread to soak it up, about an hour, refrigerated. Stir the raisins into the bread pudding and top with pecans. Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours and prepare Rye Whiskey Sauce.

Rye Whiskey Sauce
2 cups of whipping cream
9 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of cold water
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup of Rye Whiskey
Heat the cream and sugar in a heavy bottom medium size sauce pan over medium high heat until the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat. Mix the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until smooth, slowly whisk into the simmering cream, simmer 2-3 minutes. Put the yolks in a stainless steel bowl and whisk. Slowly whisk 1 cup of hot cream in with the yolks. Pour the yolk mixture into the sauce pan whisking slowly. Cook over medium low heat until it reaches 140 degrees. Remove from heat and pour through a fine strainer. Add the whiskey and keep warm. Scoop the bread pudding into bowls and top with warm sauce. When reheating sauce, be sure to use a medium low temperate so the egg in the sauce doesn't curdle.
Recipe from Brennan's of Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.